How to Keep Your Rabbit From Getting Electric Shock

How To Keep Your Rabbit From Getting Electric Shock

Rabbits are known to be curious animals. If they are playing outside, they will explore anything they encounter. But remember that your pet cannot distinguish between safe and unsafe.  

Once you decide to own or adopt a rabbit, part of their care is ensuring they are safe from danger. One common hazard is electric shock. 

There are many situations in which your pet can get electrocuted. According to a certain article, electric shock can occur when part of the body comes in contact with faulty electricity. It is fatal for rabbits because it can cause internal and external damage to their body, resulting in early death. 

This article will advise keeping your rabbit safe from this dangerous household hazard. But before we go into that, let us first discuss the risks of getting electrocuted. 

Risks of Electric Shock To Rabbits

Electric shock can likely happen to rabbits because they love to chew on things. You must understand the risk of electricity to rabbits, so you will know how important it is to keep them safe.

The risk of electric shock depends on the voltage the rabbit comes into contact with. But the common risk is burns once their body is exposed to an open electric wire. According to the Copper Development Agency, electric household wiring can get as hot as 194 Fahrenheit.

Severe cases can also damage the brain and other body organs, making it difficult for your rabbit to function properly. If not treated immediately, it can lead to a health condition called pulmonary edema.

Here are the signs to look for if your rabbit gets electrocuted:

  • Difficulty in Breathing
  • Rapid Heart Beating
  • Seizure
  • Excessive saliva
  • Unconsciousness
  • Skin burns
  • Death

Tips To Keep Rabbit Safe From Electric Shock

1. Avoid Placing their Cage Near Any Electric Wire

Finding a safe space is one way to keep your rabbit from getting electrocuted. Remember that a cage is where they stay most of the time. You must ensure they don’t encounter any hazards inside their cage.

2. Coat the Electric Wire

If your pet has a regular outdoor play schedule, it is ideal to take precautionary measures for any exposed electrical wires. This will ensure the safety of your pet and everyone in your household, including yourself. One effective way to do this is by using plastic tubing to cover the wire, which can significantly reduce the risk of your pet getting electrocuted if they come in contact with it.

3. Train Your Rabbit 

One of the best ways to prevent your pet from getting an electric shock is through training. Training your pet can make it easier to handle them and avoid dangerous situations. By training your pet to stay away from certain areas or behaviors, they will grow up with these habits and become less likely to go near dangerous electrical wires or other hazardous areas.

4. Have a Designated Play Area

It can be fun to let your rabbit roam around your house. But you need to remember that they are vulnerable creatures that do not understand what is safe and unsafe for them. They can get curious about many things, so to avoid any risk, you should have a designated play area for them. Here they can fully explore without encountering any problems. 

Things You Need To Do If Your Pet Gets Electrocuted

If you suspect your rabbit has been electrocuted, the best thing you can do is bring them to a veterinarian. Electric shock cases in pets are considered emergencies and can be fatal.

But remember, when your pet is still in contact with an electric wire, you must also keep yourself away from it. There is a possibility that you could also get shocked if you touch your pet. To help you deal with an electrocuted rabbit, here is a list of things you need to know:

  • Do not touch the rabbit while getting electrocuted.
  • Do not touch the rabbit while your hands or body is wet. 
  • Switch off the main supply of electricity in your house. 
  • Contact the emergency hotline to help you assist your electrocuted rabbit.
  • Once it’s safe to touch the rabbit, wrap your pet in a safe blanket and bring them to the veterinarian for further treatment.   

More On Rabbit Care: The Ultimate Guide to Taking Care of Rabbits

Key Takeaways

  • Rabbits are curious animals, so they love exploring different things in their surroundings.
  • One risk for rabbits is getting an electric shock. You must ensure that once you decide to own or adopt a pet, your house is safe for you and your rabbit.
  • The common risk of electric shock in rabbits is burn. But depending on the exposure, it can be fatal for them, resulting in early death. 
  • Here are the things you can do to prevent your rabbit from getting electric shocks: Avoid placing the cage near any electric wire, coat the exposed electric wire, train your rabbit not to go near any electric area, and have a designated area where the rabbit can roam freely. 
  • If your rabbit gets an electric shock, the best thing to do is bring them to your trusted veterinarian to prevent more complications.
Rabbit Drinking Water

Understanding the Drinking Habit of a Rabbit

Group Of Rabbits

Group of Rabbits: Understanding Hierarchy, Terminologies & Care